See what questions your friends are asking today.

Legacy account member? Sign in.

Sports Medicine

Equipment

Stationary Bicycles

Most fitness experts recommend that you vigorously exercise at least three days a week. However, in order to lose weight, you need to exercise more frequently. Doing the same thing every day can be monotonous though. ...(more)

Extreme Hot Weather Clothing Advice

When the weather warms up and the humidity soars athletes who train outside need to be prepared. Whether you are a recreational runner or part of a high school sports team the type of clothing that you choose to wear will have a direct impact on how you respond to the heat. Sports medicine professionals see too many people become overheated during the hot summer months because they have failed to purchase the right type of clothing to train for the weather. You might not think that your clothing choices are as important as the equipment that you need for your sport, but they are. Here is some extreme hot weather clothing advice to help you make the best choices....(more)

Buying Used Home Exercise Equipment

There are many advantages to exercising at home. The first is no gym membership. The machines may be expensive at first, but they can pay for themselves over the long run. However, buying used exercise equipment is much like buying a used car. You have to be careful, or you could get a lemon. Used equipment could be broken and cause injury. Equipment failures are a serious sports medicine issue. Here are some things to consider before purchasing used home exercise equipment....(more)

Sports Medicine: Keeping Women Strong for Competition

Athletics are becoming more and more competitive as the years go on, especially in the area of women's sports. Women are beginning to train harder and becoming more competitive, as well as, having many more opportunities to be involved on sports teams. With harder training and more intense competition, come dreaded injuries. Sports medicine is growing in popularity as a means to cure these sports injuries, as well as build strength and endurance to prevent injury....(more)

Symptoms

Infectious Mononucleosis or "The Kissing Disease"

Infectious mononucleosis (IM) is a disease caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). While a majority of the world population is eventually infected with EBV, only a fraction goes on to develop IM. ...(more)

5 Common Hockey Injuries

Hockey is a very popular sport. Whether you enjoy playing ice or street hockey, however, there are many injuries that can occur. Some of these can be serious, so it is important to be aware of their symptoms and to get prompt medical attention whenever necessary. Read on to learn about five of the common injuries most people who play this sport experience, as well as their associated symptoms....(more)

Identification of the Causes of Shoulder Pain Using Diagrams

Shoulder pain is a broad symptom category. There are many injuries that affect the shoulder and surrounding anatomy that can cause pain in similar locations. Today, doctors and sports medicine practitioners rely less on methods such as diagrams and physical examinations than they do on other diagnosis mechanisms. In this article, you will learn why....(more)

Treatments

PRP: Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy

Blood is composed primarily of plasma and blood cells. Plasma constitutes 55% of the volume and is the liquid volume component composed primarily of proteins, clotting factors, lipids, and electrolytes. Blood cells compose the remaining 45%; with blood cells broken down to red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets.Platelet-Rich Plasma injections have risen in popularity in the recent years due to prominent athletes such as Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods having traveled to Germany to perform these procedures. Though it is more widely accepted in Europe, PRP injections are becoming more readily available in the US....(more)

Astym® for Scar Reduction

Astym® is the name of a therapeutic treatment used to eliminate or reduce scar tissue that may cause pain or restriction of movement in a particular area of the body....(more)

All About Compartment Syndrome

Compartment syndrome is a complication that patients experience following fractures (most common cause), soft tissue trauma, or reperfusion injuries, which leads to arterial obstruction and muscle swelling....(more)

Sports Medicine Expert

David Carfagno

View Profile
For 29 years, Dr Carfagno has been in the health and fitness field. He's evolved from being an exercise physiologist and optimizing his clients' maximal health and fitness to becoming a national leader as a Sports Medicine Physician. He's unique in that he sees the body as a flux of... Read More

Follow This Author

Latest Articles